You know you’re minimalist when you have to go back to get MORE clothes for your Project 333. If you aren’t familiar, Project 333 is an experiment in keeping a simple wardrobe. You choose 33 items to wear for three months. Everything else gets packed away until the end, at which point you take a look through and, ideally, get rid of most of the things you didn’t wear.
I have a friend who would not do well with this project. She might be able to swing a Project 333 in which you can choose 33 items for 3 days. You think I’m exaggerating. I am not. She’s an unapologetic fashionista. I greatly enjoy the things she does with hair, makeup, clothing, and accessories… but damn, I have helped her move three times now and it’s a lot of stuff! (Much love to you, you know who you are!)
Anyway, I went through my closet and picked out the clothes I wear most. Wardrobe decisions have followed an interesting and varied path in my closet…
- Backwards hanger method – Whatever is still on a hanger after a set amount of time goes bye-bye. I did sell a few items on ebay after a year but I confess that some are still in my closet. But they will be going away.
- Feelings method – How does each piece of clothing make me feel? Fat and frumpy? Dump it. Fabulous? Obviously keep. Sorta short but I love it? TBD.
- Doctor Who method – Only wear outfits that I would be comfortable being caught in should the Doctor appear in his TARDIS to take me away. Don’t laugh. Good method.
- Ex method – What would I like to be wearing if I run into an ex? (Note that Doctor Who is more important than this)
- Free-boob method – What can I wear without a bra and still look and feel good in my outfit?
#5 is a very serious new twist in my life. Without a bra, I cannot wear loose-fitting tops with reckless abandon, all tunic-style and flowy. Nope. Boobs. Can’t do it. (Check out the next post for photos on how to wear work-appropriate outfits without a bra – I think I’m pretty stylish!)
So I have arrived at Project 333, something I have long wanted to do but never really felt like doing. After all, my wardrobe is only around 50 items (I’ll do an accurate count after Project 333 and the subsequent purge), so it’s not like I have a clothing habit to fight off. But it’s a new challenge and something I’d like to try! Here’s what I am wearing:
- Black dress
- Brown dress with polka dots
- Brown dress with flowers
- Green dress with flowers
- White and black patterned dress
- Orange and black paisley dress
- Jean shorts
- Black capris
- Khaki capris
- Grey tank
- Pink tank
- Black tank
- Black tank
- Black tee
- Green tee
- Green/brown/black empire waist tunic
- Purple button-down
- Brown button-down
- Grey button-down
- Blue cardigan
- Brown cardigan
- Black cardigan
- Cozy sweater
- Black vest
- Purple pashmina scarf
- Black flip flops
- Purple flower hair clip
- Celtic pewter earrings
I’m not counting underwear, socks, pajamas, gym clothes, or my volunteer uniform.
Project 333 begins now!
Have you tried a wardrobe challenge? How did it go?