After a lifetime of not knowing how to enforce my boundaries (or even what they were in the first place), one of the toughest things I had to learn after leaving an abusive marriage was how I expected to be treated and how I communicated that to other people.
Boundaries can feel scary when you’ve never had them before. In the past, maybe standing up for yourself felt dangerous.
A New Approach to Boundaries
When I was starting a D&D campaign a few months ago, I realized I loved making the character more than I actually liked playing.
I could make my character strong in ways I aspired to be. Which is how I made this course – we treat your brain like a character, and you fill that character up with strengths and defenses and skills that help you rethink how you approach traumatic moments.
So I turned this idea into a workshop that I taught at Midwinter Gaming Convention in Milwaukee this January, and spent the next couple months adapting it into a six week online coaching course to teach the framework to other people.
The video below introduces the Level Up framework we’ll use to build stronger boundaries, honor your strengths and inherent skills, and make a plan to continue improving for the future.
If you just want the basics on the course, the first half covers everything you need to know! The second half of the video has grounding techniques we use during the course in case the conversation gets heavy.
Six Weeks to Better Boundaries
Here’s the basics of the course and what you can expect from participating.
- Level Up provides a new way to look at trauma that interrupts the negative feedback loop in your brain
- By the end of the course, you will have a concrete list of your resources for a “leveled up” approach to your own trauma, triggers, and boundaries
- Level Up is a six week course, and you should expect to devote about 2-3 hours a week to lessons, assignments/journaling, and video calls
- Video calls will be followed by a debrief to make sure any negative feelings are worked through and safely grounded
- This is not a clinical therapy and you may want to work through what you learn here with your regular therapist
Want to get started? I still have a few reserved spots for the session starting April 13 at 50% off list price. Email me to reserve a spot!